Predictive Engineering is a finite element analysis consultancy based in Portland, Oregon.
We work with clients across North America, providing consulting services and engineering software, training and support. We strive to exceed client expectations for accuracy, timeliness and knowledge transfer.
As such, we are seeking qualified, driven FEA engineers that want to succeed and contribute to a growing company.
Predictive Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all races and creeds to apply for this position. We promote bike commuting and advocate healthy lifestyles. Predictive offers a 401k pension plan with a matching contribution in addition to full healthcare benefits.
Open Career Opportunities
Staff Mechanical Engineer, PhD-level
Updated: January 13, 2017
We are looking for a mechanical engineer with passion and drive to become one of the world’s best simulation engineers.
Predictive Engineering: Our clients turn to us to solve their most difficult analysis challenges. We have a nationwide reputation for providing state-of-the-art analyses across broad industrial sectors for the medical, aerospace, marine, automotive, chemical, mining, and consumer product fields. Additionally, we sell Siemens PLM Software and LS-DYNA and provide support and training classes for users of FEMAP, NX Nastran, NX CAE and LS-DYNA (see Applied CAx).
- PhD with an emphasis in solid mechanics
- 3+ year experience as a simulation engineer or keen understanding of FEA theory and practice
- Graduate work in mechanics (i.e., dynamics, composites, elasticity, continuum mechanics, plates and shells, etc.)
- Demonstrative communication skills via engineering reports, presentations or sales activities
- Competitive personality as demonstrated by scholastic and/or sports activities
- U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident
Ideal Candidate: PhD with three years of experience within an engineering consultancy doing FEA work. Comfortable writing high-quality engineering prose for proposals and reports. Since much of our work is presented at the senior engineer and VP level, one should be able to effectively communicate analysis results while being intelligently critiqued. Our project work is constantly changing and you should be comfortable with independently researching solutions and developing analysis checks to verify your assumptions. The outcome of your work often has a huge financial impact and the margin for error rarely exist. If you want to strive to be the best in your field, this is the place for you.
Here is a list of traits that would ensure success in this position:
- Inquisitive and engaging – never shy about asking questions and capable to self-start and self-solve
- Dedicated to getting the right answer even if it involves all-night slogs through research papers and books
- Ability to quickly learn new analysis techniques from linear dynamics (e.g., PSD) to composites to fluid structure interaction (CFD/SPH/DEM/ALE)
- Wants to be part of a team that is setting the bar for state-of-the-art analysis solutions
Staff Position Description:
- Ability to manage small projects (<$50k) in an entrepreneurial manner. This implies: (i) in-depth examination of the project’s goals and deliverables with full client involvement, (ii) execution of the analysis work with attention to detail and modeling efficiency, (iii) exceeding the client’s expectations for delivery and quality, (iv) maintaining a follow-on client relationship to ensure that the project work was correctly implemented and had a successful outcome, and (v) you take intense pride in your work.
- On-site engineering work (outside of Portland) is expected to be no more than five weeks a year.
- A keen sense of artistic balance in report and document preparation.
Salary: Industry standard with reviews every twelve months. Outstanding work will be compensated commensurately.
How to Apply: Send us a brief cover letter with an example of your engineering prose and your current resume. As well please include a brief example of your engineering project work in graphical format, and an explanation of any sales or athletic sports experience. Please be kind to us and keep your submittal as brief as possible. One can send their submittal electronically via email.
Predictive Engineering, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We promote bike commuting and advocate healthy lifestyles with group activities from skiing, mountain biking, water sports, boot camp and beer drinking. Predictive offers a 401k pension plan with a matching contribution along with full health care benefits.